Walking the quiet inner lanes of St Julians, a neighboring town of Valleta (capital of Malta), I came across the below. It made my heart sink. Art, Design, Money, History. All so intertwined in the modern world.
 |
| A notice in the front, on the house shown below. |
The view from the hotel I stayed at was spectacular. Low rise houses built of limestone, stretching as far as my eyes could see. But I know now, it is a matter of years (hopefully decades?) before more owners decided to trade their old houses for money and redevelop it into buildings or hotels. A part of me fully understands the need to redevelop, the population keeps growing, young adults no longer see the value in preserving big old homes, or probably no longer can afford the upkeep, or no longer care about flowering shrubs and olive trees in their courtyards?
 |
|
The view from my hotel. |
 |
|
The house in the forefront was up for redevelopment, calling for buyers, developers and other interested parties. |
 |
| I was sad to know that this beautiful flowering Sky-Flower will disappear soon. The old walls will be replaced with polished concrete, glass or steel. |
And then I realized, I was standing on the terrace of a hotel, which was surely on redeveloped land, a house was mowed down to build this hotel.