I am a huge fan of slow travel, of experiencing everything a local would. The recent Airbnb campaign of '
Don't go to Paris, Live in Paris' really touched a chord with me. However, on a recent trip home, I had a long layover in Colombo. One I couldn't possibly waste. I have flown Srilankan Airlines quite a few times, I have always seen aerial views of the city, but this time, I actually had a chance to explore the city - even if it was for only a few hours.
 |
| Avacado with turmeric. |
 |
| Streetside. |
I had never stepped outside the airport in Sri Lanka and I was quite excited. My flight landed at 6:15 am and by 7 I was in a cab towards Colombo city.
Breakfast in Colombo
My first stop was, obviously, for breakfast. After some thought, I decided to go to Cafe Kumbuk. A quiet cafe popular with expats and tourists, this cafe serves delicious food only up to 4:30 pm. I loved the interiors of this place, with earten tiles and tones all over.
 |
| Those tiles. |
 |
| Avacado on turmeric on toast. Love. |
 |
| Dressed comfortably to walk and shop. |
 |
| I want this decor in my house. |
 |
| Postcards and greeting cards on sale here. |
Buddhist temples
My next stop was the very famous and important Gangaramaya temple in the heart of Colombo, and it's set above a small lake. It was a very hot and humid day but after I walked into the temple, it was so peaceful and calm I forgot about about the heat.
 |
| Buddhism is the main religion in Sri Lanka. |
 |
| Peace. |
Colombo meets blue water - Galle face
I wanted to visit the Galle face, about which almost every person I spoke to had recommended. This is a long stretch of open space, right next to the beautiful sea. Families, couples and kids come here to enjoy an evening out - a luxury if you ask me, in a crowded concrete jungle with waters so blue !
 |
| Royal blue. |
 |
| Make time stand still. |
Retail therapy - Dutch Hospital
I couldn't leave without doing some retail therapy. I went to the old Dutch hopital which is now converted to a shopping complex. Since I was a little early, many of the eateries and stores were not yet open. However, I still managed to visit Spa Ceylon and Barefoot. (Much recommended)
 |
| Dutch Hospital. |
 |
| Symmetry. |
 |
| Red, blue and green tuk tuks. |
 |
| Perennial problems in countries around the world. |
Details
- To get a visa to enter Sri Lanka is very simple. You can go to their official website here and apply for one. It costs $20 for a double entry e-visa.
- It takes about an hour from the airport to city. I comfortably did all of the above in around 6 hours; including 2 hours of travel time.
- You can withdraw LKR (Sri Lankan Rupees) from any ATM
- A great local UBER-like app is Pick Me. You can download it before hand. It's very easy to use.
- There's great, free and fast wifi at the airport.
Tip = I used the free Wifi at the airport to book a cab on Pick Me. And then I called the local driver's number from a helpful stranger.
- Cafe Kumbuk - website
- You can ask any local for the Buddhist temple, the Dutch Hospital shopping complex and Galle face.
- I wanted to visit Pettah Market too (I have a thing with local markets), but I was short of time, so maybe another time.
- Srilankan Airlines is one of my favourites - lovely fleet, staff, service, food and movie collection and if you are lucky, you will get a long layover.
Hope you guys enjoyed the read. Have you been to Sri Lanka? What other places would you recommend as a must see? Let me know what you think in the comments below. xx