Kochi city has carved a special soft corner for itself in my heart. From the beautiful Marine Drive which drives a sense of peace into me every time my eyes rest up on the glistening waters to the bustling Fort Kochi which is full of shops and foreigners. I am in love with this place. I don't think I'll feel at home anywhere else.
Today as I was traveling by bus at 2 in the afternoon, not only was I hungry, but I was also feeling my skin burn. As the bus turned onto foreshore road and I caught a glimpse of the back waters - the glistening blue green waters, I was tempted to run into the water! It was better than any swimming pool I have seen! I then wondered what I'd do once I leave Kochi! The familiar sight of green cover as you fly into Kerala, the soothing walk through some paddy field, the grand Taj Malabar; where a hostess greets you with a warm namaskaaram, the drum beats every time there is a shop / retail outlet inauguration, the temple festivals where if you're lucky you could spot an elephant, I could go on writing. My piece of writing would be incomplete if I don't mention the auto wallas.
There was this incident recently with an auto driver, where in I was struggling hard to argue with him in Malayalam. I was saying see bhaiya, I cannot pay more than 20. 30 is ridiculous. He then went on to explain, in 'English', that madam, go to a village like Kottayam if you want to pay 20; Kochi is a big city. I stood there shocked. I paid him 25 and walked away. I thought how big Kochi had actually become. It has been growing at a very fast pace. As a kid, the only super store I knew was Varkeys. Today there is Reliance, Niligiris, Aditya Birla's More, and loads of others. But when I look at that small gap between 2 tall buildings on Marine Drive and catch a glimpse of the glistening water, I feel at ease with myself and affirm my faith in Kochi! It will always have an important place in my heart.